Follow along and interact with the slides below if you want:
- GIS is any system used to analyze, capture or work with geospatial data and can ingest three main types of data: tabular, vector and raster.
- Different tools within the software are only able to work with specific data types.
- Before embarking on a GIS project it is good to take stock of your objective to help you select the appropriate tool:
- Visualize + Contextualize: Google Earth
- Perform Analysis: QGIS
- Visualize & Share: Leaflet, mapbox.js, Carto…
- QGIS is the most robust entry level open-source GIS analysis tool available.
- Many open tools can be found linked from the data visualization subject guide.