Follow along and interact with the slides below if you want:
Watch the session on YouTube.
- GIS is any system used to analyze, capture or work with geospatial data and can ingest three main types of data: tabular, vector and raster.
- Different tools within the software are only able to work with specific data types.
- Outside of classroom instruction common processes undertaken by education professionals conducting GIS work include:
- Facilities management (capacity, infrastructure, emergency planning).
- Comparison between schools, boards and other benchmarks
- Location attributes (student:teacher ratios, funding, enrollment)
- Transportation networks
- Policy informed by community attributes
- Stakeholder feedback via participatory tools
- ArcGIS Online is a proprietary tool that is great for entry level users.
- Many visualization tools can be found linked from the data visualization subject guide.