This hands-on session provides an overview of data visualization techniques and instructions on how to apply them in ArcGIS Online. Participants will learn about best practices and guidelines for designing effective StoryMaps. Learners will get a chance to go through the entire design process of creating a narrative with their data for a particular scenario using ESRI tools.
In this session, participants will:
- Gain an overview of data visualization/ storytelling
- Discover resources for secondary data sets to support research
- Explore the ArcGIS Online interface
- Create a basic StoryMap using ESRI tools
- Ensure you have logged into your ArcGIS Online Account. The session instructor will email you instructions prior to the session. Take me there!
- Download the data and extract the compressed files into your Downloads folder. Download Data
- Complete the walk-through by adding all maps created to your StoryMap with some descriptive text.
- Select 3 / 5 actions listed below and add them each as separate panels to your StoryMap.
- Make 3 changes to the StoryMap Design. In a text panel describe what changes you made and why.
- If you are in Winnipeg go to King’s Park and take a selfie with a specific tree from the database. Add this photo to the StoryMap and describe why you chose this tree. If you aren’t in Winnipeg, chose a tree in your local area.
- Create another map using the Tree layer, and another layer of your choosing and add it and some descriptive text to your story.
- Add an animation or action to one of the maps and describe how it adds to the story (eg. video, audio, swipe, timeline, bookmark zoom).
- Another object of your choosing, with descriptive text.
- Ensure you have shared and tagged your StoryMap appropriately so it can be found and marked.