This hands-on session provides an overview of Geographic Information Systems (GIS) and how it can be used. Attendees will compare various GIS software and data types, become familiar with navigating the QGIS interface and procedures for adding and symbolizing data. Discussion will be centered on integrating researcher data with secondary data sources.
In this session, participants will:
- Gain an overview of GIS and popular visualization strategies;
- Become familiar with popular GIS software and what is supported through the University;
- Explore the QGIS interface;
- Load, join and symbolize tabular data in an existing project.
- Download and install the long-term release of QGIS for your operating system. Download Software
- Download the data and extract the compressed files into your Downloads folder. Download Data