Follow along and interact with the slides below if you want:
Watch the session on YouTube.
- GIS is any system used to analyze, capture or work with geospatial data and can ingest three main types of data: tabular, vector and raster.
- Different tools within the software are only able to work with specific data types.
- Popular processes undertaken by historians conducting GIS work include:
- Digitization of historical maps/images
- Reconstruction of features from the past
- Georeferencing microdata
- ArcGIS Online is a proprietary tool that is great for entry level users.
- Many visualization tools can be found linked from the data visualization subject guide.